MONUMENTS IN PSR NELLORE
Monument No: 1
Monument Name:MOUND KNOWN AS 'BODIPATI DIBBA'
Location: Ramathirtham (Hamlet of Varini)
This elevated mound right up to the Ramalingeswara temple perhaps is full of ancient remains. The recent trail dig at the site has yielded a terracotta ring well indicating the potentiality of the site. The other important antiquities found from the sire include red ware, black and red and polished black wares of the early historic period. The size of the brick tallies with the Satavahana Ikshvaku varieties.
Monument No: 2
Monument Name: ANCIENT MOUND
This elevated mound right up to the Ramalingeswara temple has ancient remains. The recent trail dig at the site has yielded a terracotta ring well indicating the potentiality of the site. The other important antiquities found from the sire include red ware, black and red and polished black wares of the early historic period. The size of the brick tallies with the Satavahana Ikshvaku varieties. This may contain extensive Buddhist remains as at Chezarla.
Monument No: 3
Monument Name: HILL FORT WITH ANCIENT BUILDINGS THEREIN
Udayagiri- the hill of knowledge and enlightenment is closer to the ancient tract of land right upto Kavali-Kadudukur where great Brahmana Kraka Village existed. No less than 64 Vedic scholars under the immortal Sayana Charya caused the Vedabhashya. Sayana was the scholar-minister of Hari Hara (1336-1404 A.D). The enlightened hill Udayagiri, as it is known, is the place where these ghanapathis worked. Udayagiri is a very big hill fort of considerable importance elevated 1000 mtrs above MSL'. Tradition says that the fort was first built by Languloa Gajapati, that succeeded by some 'Vadiya' Kings, who were followed by Aswapathis and Gajapatis, that the names of three kings of this lost dynasty were Gajapathi, Achyuta and Ananta, and that this last king was conquered and subdued by Krishna Devaraya of Vijayanagar. It goes on to name. Timmarasu a successor of Krishna Deva and Muvvani Nayanamgaru, who was defeated by Mir Jumal. The 'Vidiya' Raja is credited with having built the fort known as the ;Bharakhilla' and thus to have strengthened the place which was further strengthened by Mir Jumla. The place remained under Muslim Governors till 1839, when it passed on to the hands of English. The position was a very strong and commanding one. It consists of 13 fortresses, eight on the hill and five below. Inside the fort walls are the remains of palaces, temples and tombs.
Monument No: 4
Monument Name: KRISHNA TEMPLE IN A PART OF DONKA WITH GOPURAM, KALYANAMANDAPAM AND MASONRY BUILT TANK
This is one of the earliest and most interesting Hindu temples at Udayagiri dedicated to Lord Krishna. This imposing structure is built of large dressed stones, and having a high partly damaged, brick built sikhara over the sanctum. The main shrine is facing north, having an attached antarala and pillared mandapa in front. The outer surface of the structure is decorated with bas-relief sculpture. The lofty brick tower was once decorated with numerous stucco images and the ornaments of the usual Vaishnava kind. The door frames and the plain portions of the massive pillars of the mukha mandapa are well decorated with sculptures relating to some of the important events of Krishna's life. On stylistic grounds the date of the temple may be assigned to 15th century A.D. It is interesting to note that Sri Krishnadeva Raya, while returning from his conquests in the wave of frequent attacks by the Muslim invaders carried away with great care the image of Bala Krishna from this temple and set up in a Jewelled ball at Krishnapuram (Hampi) on 21.2.1515 A.D.
Monument No: 5
Monument Name: RANGANAYAKULA TEMPLE
This old ruined Vaishnava temple stands in the centre of a large high-walled double enclosure. The central shrine faces the south and once contained an image of Vishnu Anantasayana, in the form of Ranganayaka. The Ranganadha image was removed to Nellore and placed at the famous Ranganayakula temple during the time of Muslim invaders by Sri. Krishnadeva Raya (1514-1515 A.D.) Besides the main shrine the inner courtyard contains, two handsome halls, a well, a lofty gateway and a small ruined attendant shrine, containing some of these structures were built by a Timmaraju in the latter part of the 16th century A.D. But they do not state when the main temple was built.